This handout / worksheet is designed to enable an in-depth teaching and preparation of the poem “Tears, Idle Tears” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. The poem is also on the IGCSE English Literature curriculum for exams in 2018 and 2019.
You can buy this handout as part of the IGCSE Poetry May 2018 / May 2019 bundle, here: IGCSE Poetry May 2018 / 2019 Bundle
The handout includes:
- Short biography and introduction to the poet - Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
- Key Terminology relevant to the poem is also introduced and defined, including Romanticism (relevant to the context of composition).
- The poem text with line numbers to facilitate a close-reading, and annotations for difficult words and concepts.
- Close-reading & analysis questions.
- Further essay questions and creative writing tasks to develop further writing skills.
Enjoy, and please give feedback!