Critical Race Theory/ Movement
Critical Race Theory was developed out of legal scholarship. It provides a critical analysis of race and racism from a legal point of view. …CRT recognizes that racism is engrained in the fabric and system of the American society.
The Critical Race Theory movement can be seen as a group of interdisciplinary scholars and activists interested in studying and changing the relationship between race, racism and power. In the 1970s, a number of lawyers, activists, and scholars saw the work of the Civil Rights as being stalled and in many instances negated. They also saw the…positivist views of laws as being colorblind and ignorant of the racism that is pervasive in the law.
The works of Derrick Bell and Alan Freeman have been attributed to the start of CRT.Bell and Freeman were frustrated with the slow pace of racial reform in the United Sates. They argued that the traditional approaches of combating racism were producing smaller gains than in previous years.
At the core of the Critical Race Theory are six key elements- Check to see if your assignment fits into this criterion and explain
- Adapted from UCLA/ Cultural Studies on Critical Race Theory
6 Elements of Critical Race Theory
6 Elements of Critical Race Theory Explanation of how your topic fits in
1. Recognizing that racism is an integral part of the United States
a. Challenging existing structure that reinforce racial oppression
2. Rejects dominant legal and social claims of neutrality, objectivity, and colorblindness
a. Laws, policies, slogans, and other rhetoric devices as “race neutral” are criticized
3. Rejects analysis of contemporary racial relations void of any historical context that frames current realities
a. Any attempt to understand race in 21st c. is only possible through awareness of the history of race
4. Experimental knowledge that is generated from various cultural standpoints
a. Values perspectives grounded through the racialized collective experiences of those groups that have historically been marginalized in the United States
5. Speak to the interdisciplinary and synergistic nature of CRT borrowed from : feminism, Marxism, Critical/cultural studies and post modernism
6. Social Activism- elimination of racial oppression focus on race- does not prohibit gender, socio-economics, spirituality, sexual orientation, etc.
a. #BlackLivesMatter= Critical Race theory in Action