Is freshwater the most valuable currency on Earth?
In the lesson plan, students will explore the concept of global freshwater scarcity using the Google Earth Voyager Story, Blue Gold: Our Lakes, Our Lives. Using evidence gathered in the story and other resources, students will answer the question, is freshwater the most
valuable currency on Earth?
• Engage: Is Earth’s surface made up of more land or water?
• Explore: Examine images of Earth using Google Earth supporting the fact that Earth’s surface is 71% water.
• Explain: If there is so much water on Earth’s surface, why is water so important?
• Revise: Reflect on information shared during whole class discussion.
• Apply: Respond to the question: is freshwater the most valuable currency on Earth?
This is part 2 of a 4 part unit plan ‘Blue Gold’ but each unit can be completed independently.