This bundle includes ready-to-teach handouts and worksheets for all of the 15 poems that need to be taught and included in the preparation for the IGCSE English Literature exams in 2020, 2021 and 2022. Specifically:
From Songs of Ourselves Volume 1, Part 3, the following 15 poems:
- Maya Angelou, ‘Caged Bird’
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, ‘Sonnet 43’
- James K Baxter, ‘Farmhand’
- Sujata Bhatt, ‘Muliebrity’
- Isobel Dixon, ‘Plenty’
- Rosemary Dobson, ‘The Three Fates’
- Robert Hayden, ‘Those Winter Sundays’
- Seamus Heaney, ‘Mid-Term Break’
- Mervyn Morris, ‘Little Boy Crying’
- Norman Nicholson, ‘Rising Five’
- Adrienne Rich, ‘Amends’
- Edna St Vincent Millay, ‘Sonnet 29’
- Dennis Scott, ‘Marrysong’
- Stevie Smith, ‘Not Waving But Drowning’
- William Wordsworth, ‘She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways’
Each worksheet includes the following:
Short biography and information about the poet.
Contextual information, or explanation of additional, relevant terminology, literary concepts, movements, philosophies etc., where necessary or appropriate.
An annotated version of the poem (with a useful, illustrated glossary to explain crucial words and phrases).
Close-reading & analysis questions that allow your students to analyze and dig deeper.
Additional essay questions and writing tasks to facilitate exam preparation.
Teacher’s Notes and Study Guide section, designed as a kind of teacher’s guide to the poem, and includes the following (this may vary a little from resource to resource):
- MODEL ANSWERS for the comprehension, close reading and analysis questions.
- Poem Summary / Context of composition
- Suggested student activities to assist close reading and to provide ideas for classroom activities as you teach the poem.
- Detailed commentary and analysis of the poem, including figurative language and devices.
- Sample Essay Responses and MODEL ESSAYS for the essay questions.
- Study Guide (designed for students to help them revise the poem).
I’ve now added MOCK EXAMS (just print-and-use) that emulate the IGCSE Literature Poetry Paper 1 exam for ALL THE POEMS included in this bundle. The file also includes SAMPLE RESPONSES / MODEL ESSAY ANSWERS) to all the mock exam questions, for convenient use when correcting students’ responses. Also PERFECT as a study aid / self-assessment for students revising for the exam!
Enjoy, and please give feedback!
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
(Seamus Heaney sample essay response - there's a mistake on the first line.)<br /> Great resources, lots of information. Really appreciate the sample essay responses. Thanks for providing this resource, it will save me a lot of preparation time.
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.