The Stepping Stone Books are decodable reading books for use alongside the Phonics for SEN and other systematic, synthetic phonics and linguistic phonics programmes.
Some pupils with SEN may learn to read single words but find it difficult to move on to reading more than one word in a sentence.
The Stepping Stone Books supports pupils to make the transition from reading single words to reading connected text. The series gradually requires the pupil to read stories with an increasing number of words in sequence. Initially sentences are presented without capital letters or punctuation marks so as to limit distraction and focus on the words. Full stops and capital letters are gradually introduced as they work through the books.
There are six books for you to print out. These correspond to the sounds in the 7 sets covered in Book 1 of the Phonics for SEN programme. Note there is not a book for Set 1.
• map Set 2 – one or two words per page – no capitalisation – no punctuation
• cat Set 3 – two words per page – no capitalisation – no punctuation
• cap Set 4 – one or two words per page – no capitalisation – full stops
• dog: Set 5 – two or three words per page – no capitalisation – full stops
• fox Set 6 – three words per page – no capitalisation – full stops
• Jam Set 7 – three words per page – capitalisation – full stops
There are 2 versions of each book. The second version is intended for use with pre- or nonverbal pupils. The books have words but no pictures. Instead the pictures are available separately. The pupil reads the word/s in their thinking voice and then selects which, of a choice of two, pictures makes sense and fits on that page.
Great to use in class or send home. Easy to print out and replace if lost.
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.