GIVER Unit Teaching Package (by Lois Lowry)
NOVEL: The Giver by Lois Lowry
LEVEL: middle school (junior high), high school (secondary)
TOTAL: 225 slides/pages in lesson plan unit
Pacing Guide & Answer Keys included
» MEETS COMMON CORE STANDARDS «
* Suggested timeline of how a teacher could plan out the 6-week unit.
* Detailed explanations of the goals of each activity & how to conduct the activities in the classroom.
· Pre-reading Bias Intro Activity
- questions to get students thinking
· Introduction to Utopias PowerPoint
- Introduces students to concept of utopias/dystopias; provides examples from real life, novels, & film
· Utopia Project & Travel Brochure Activity
- Students put knowledge of utopias into practice by creating own theoretical utopia (a persuasive travel brochure that explains vision & functionality)
- Presentation to class & get asked questions.
· Plot Chart Organizer Diagram Arc (6 parts)
· Conflict Graphic Organizer - 6 Types of Conflict
· Characters Organizer
· Verbals (Infinitives, Participles, Gerunds) Activity & PowerPoint
· Phrases & Clauses (Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb)
· Vocabulary List and Quiz Assessment (60 words)
· Ceremony of 12 Simulation
- Students are assigned different real life jobs from the top 200 jobs list & write their thoughts of being assigned a job.
· Jobs List Organizer
- Students catalogue & analyze jobs from community & societal worth
· Journal - Quickwrite Writing Prompts
- Highly engaging writing & discussion questions
· iPod Audio Tracts Tracker
- Adds ease to figuring out which iPod audiobook tract matches pages
· Pop Quizzes & Keys
- 5-questions per section
- The purpose is so students who read recently ace the quiz & students who didn't read recently don't.
· Persuasive Essay & Speech & Rubrics
- 3 options (Narrative, Persuasive, Response to Literature)
· 5 Final Projects - Creative, Artistic, Differentiated
· Pain Gallery - Final Activity and Discussion PowerPoint
- Students draw a picture of something painful & anonymously turn in to discuss the various pains of life & how to fix them.
· Newbery Award Speech & Response
- Students read Lowry’s Newbery speech & think deeply about meaning.
· Jeopardy Final Trivia Competition
· Movie vs. Novel Comparison
Enjoy The Giver! And may your world always be in full color!