This package consists of 30 BOARD GAMES:
- AY way, pay, sway, day + EXTENSION away, Sunday, replay, spray
- CONSOLIDATION OF VOWEL DIGRAPHS ai, ea, ee, ie, oa + EXTENSION
- AR dark, start, part + EXTENSION apart, party, carpet
- AR says "or" warn, warp, toward, warm
- ER ENDINGS farmer, sharper, warmer
- MAGIC E - with all combinations + 2 syllable words + EXTENSION + DISCRIMINATION fat/fate, kit/kite, cub/cube (11 games in all)
- VOWEL Y (two sounds) funny and fly
- HARD and SOFT C AND G cent, card, gold, giant + EXTENSION circus
- LONG O no, low, snow
- 2 SYLLABLE WORDS with all phonic element to this point for CONSOLIDATION (4 games)
A blank board game is included for flexibility so you can add local words or target specific words.
The games are differentiated with extension games for most elements. You can use them in a Literacy Centre for all students, or you can focus on a few students and use them in intervention like I do. They can be sent home for fun family time which doesn't seem like schoolwork. I use them to begin or end an intervention session because they are quick and focus the target skills involved in a positive way. Then I send them home for consolidation if parents are happy to play at home as well.
The beginning Phases (1,2 and 3) are critical for mastery in literacy. You can find the sequence, diagnostic assessment, teaching strategies, resources and more in my LITERACY INTERVENTION HANDBOOK (127 pages).
I recommend games for intervention at this level because of the repetition that some kids need. I have developed heaps of games expressly for this purpose. Once you identify the skill deficits you need to target I will have games to suit.
Because Phases 1 to 3 are so important I have a bundled the 55 RACE DAY games in these phases to cater for a wide range of ability. This may be a more economical way for schools to resource early intervention.