This contains a scheme of work designed to cover the key content of settlement. It is aimed at KS3 to give students a good grounding in preparation for the more rigorous GCSE's and so contains demanding exercises in a fun, interesting and innovative fashion.
Content covered: settlement hierarchies, services, site factors, settlement functions, Burgess model, urban land uses, urbanisation patterns and reasons.
It should be taught in the following order:
1. What Is A Settlement?
2. What Makes A Good Site For A Settlement?
3. What Different Functions Can A Settlement Have?
4. How Is Land Used In Urban Areas?
5. Why Is The World Increasingly Urban?
6. Settlement End-Of-Unit Test