These presentations are for teachers of key stage 1 and 2 children. The resources take a picture led approach to explaining where our food comes from, where it is grown and how it reaches us.
The resources are designed to encourage consideration of how much food we grow, how much we bring from elsewhere, what would be missing if we lived on what we can grow at home, what other calls there are on out land given we live on an island.
The national curriculum specification for this topic is as follows: As part of their work with food, pupils should be taught how to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating.
Pupils should be taught to:
Key stage 1
- use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes
- understand where food comes from.
Key stage 2
- understand and apply the principles of a healthy and varied diet
- prepare and cook a variety of predominantly savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques
- understand seasonality, and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed.