This career unit gives students an introduction to the Arts, A/V Technology & Communications career cluster and what a career in this field would be like. This is perfect for a career, technology, CTE or business class.
The included PowerPoint presentation can be used by the teacher for whole class instruction, or provided to the students electronically (or as a printout) for them to review individually. Students use close reading skills with a short informational passage to learn about the career field and answer questions to use critical thinking skills and demonstrate their understanding. Two different puzzles are included to learn different jobs in the career and to reinforce vocabulary skills. A technology based research project is included to allow students to use critical thinking and creativity to further explore the career field as they create a video using Adobe Spark Video (free software, no download needed). Suggested topics for the video are included as well as a quick reference guide for the software. Additionally, a group fashion design project that can be completed without student computer access is provided to simulate the career and allow students to utilize critical thinking skills and teamwork. Finally, a short reflection questionnaire gives students the opportunity to reflect and analyze their learning as they determine if this career field is of interest to them.
The project was created for grades 7-8 but could easily be used with high school students. The teacher can choose to use some or all of the provided lesson options included in this resource.
Files Included with this Lesson
• Teacher & Student Notes and Resources
• Introduction to Arts, A/V Technology & Communications Careers PowerPoint presentation (editable)
• Introduction to Arts, A/V Technology & Communications Careers Research Reading and Questions
• Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Job Type Word Search Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Technology based Creative Video Project Instructions, Quick Reference Guide, Suggested Topics, and Rubric
• Team Brainstorming and Creation Worksheet
• Team Fashion Design Project Instructions and Rubric
• Arts, A/V Technology & Communications Current Events Discussion Group Lesson Instructions and Rubric
• Arts, A/V Technology & Communications Career Reflection Questions (MS Word)