Many Australians are unaware of the distinctive features of Aboriginal languages, how many were spoken in Australia at the time of the first arrival of overseas explorers and even what they sound and look like.
This curriculum of short simple lessons explore the principles of language, how sounds are created, and the key features of an indigenous language. The topic is a fascinating one and it is a series of lessons I have delivered to a variety of audiences - from secondary students to highly engaged corporate employees.
This program uses a particular language as a case study - a language spoken in the Pilbara region of the north-west of Western Australia. And the language features learnt here apply to many other indigenous languages throughout Australia. They are all related, but they are all so different.
By the end of the program you will:
- have an understanding of the mechanics of articulating Indigenous letters of the alphabet
- have built up a vocabulary of more than 100 Indigenous words from this language
- learn how different the grammar rules can be(almost like Latin)
- learn how culture and language are so intertwined
- increase your understanding of an Australia Indigenous view of the world
The program won’t equip you to be a fluent speaker of the language, but you will be provided with a sound base of language knowledge that will give you the appreciation of some of the uniqueness of an Indigenous language still spoken in Australia.
This program is suitable for anybody wanting:
- To improve their knowledge of the Australia Indigenous culture
- To gain some linguistic exposure to Indigenous languages
- To acquire knowledge of the mechanics of language
- To develop a basis for further in-depth study of Australian Indigenous Language
There are 12 lessons in this course (5-15 minutes each), and the course also includes a free download of the dictionary from the languages used throughout the course, as well as a free copy of the scrapbook of photos taken from my time with this community.
The course is hosted on Teachable.com.au and the coupon code to access the course (as well as the link to the course) will be provided once payment is processed. To see more, the Home Page for the course is HERE.
Learn more about the author at
Or join the others on my Australian Indigenous Languages Page
I’d be really disappointed if anyone is not happy with these packs, so if that’s you, please get back to me and your money will be very happily refunded. I’d really like some feedback too, so all comments most welcome.