This career unit gives students an introduction to the Information Technology career cluster and what a career in this field would be like. This is perfect for a career, technology, CTE or business class.
The included PowerPoint presentation can be used by the teacher for whole class instruction, or provided to the students electronically (or as a printout) for them to review individually. Students use close reading skills with a short informational passage to learn about the career field and answer questions to use critical thinking skills and demonstrate their understanding. Two different puzzles are included to learn different jobs in the career and to reinforce vocabulary skills. An individual project to create a web site using Weebly (www.weebly.com) offers students an opportunity for a real-life look into this career. A group project to learn more about cybersecurity is provided to allow students to utilize critical thinking skills and teamwork. Finally, a short reflection questionnaire gives students the opportunity to reflect and analyze their learning as they determine if this career field is of interest to them.
The project was created for grades 7-8 but could easily be used with high school students. The teacher can choose to use some or all of the provided lesson options included in this resource.
Files Included with this Lesson
• Teacher & Student Notes and Resources
• Introduction to Information Technology Careers PowerPoint presentation (editable)
• Introduction to Information Technology Careers Research Reading and Questions
• Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Job Type Word Search Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Individual Project Web Site Design expectations, resources, Quick Reference Guide, and rubric
• Technology based Group Cybersecurity Project Instructions, Resources and Rubric
• Information Technology Career Reflection Questions (MS Word)