This literacy/maths link pack on Australian currency introduces students to the six coins in circulation and 1 cent and 2 cent coins, Royal Australian Mint and commemorative coins.
Learning Objectives: To be able to retrieve information, take part in class discussion and listen to others, label pictures correctly, work out meaning of words in a text, write simple sentences with correct punctuation.
Learning Objectives: Recognise and describe Australian coins, to know each coin has a different value and is not related to size of coins.
If you are planning a visit to the Royal Australian Mint or just want to watch a video about the Royal Australian Mint, starting to teach your students about Australian currency, then this is an ideal resource to get started.
- A 16 Slide PowerPoint Presentation lesson with whole group listening and speaking activity (8 questions).
Divided into Lesson starter, Main lesson and Plenary.
In addition to the Presentation there are learning support materials:-
- Students can design their own display cards with facts – Art link
- Two differentiated reading comprehension texts with questions. One set with 11 questions and the other set with 15 questions.
- Cut/Paste Coin Match - students cut out and match the coins to the values shown the worksheet and then label each coin with the name of image on the reverse of each coin.
- Extension: Write four facts worksheet
There are display posters
- laminate the whole page general fact sheet onto card paper
- laminate and cut out the half page coin facts onto card paper.
Included 3 weblinks to choose from to go with this resource.
Youtube link: Royal Australia Mint Tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u3upZG4toE
Youtube link: 5:37 mins long – Special coins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X83zllePHjI
Youtube link: 4.39 mins long – Making of Official Anzac Coins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqLUc3QiNZI
Hope you enjoy this resource.
File Type: PowerPoint, Word formats contained in a zip file