This career unit gives students an introduction to the marketing, sales and service career cluster and what a career in this field would be like. This is perfect for a career, technology, CTE or business class.
The included PowerPoint presentation can be used by the teacher for whole class instruction, or provided to the students electronically (or as a printout) for them to review individually. Students use close reading skills with a short informational passage to learn about the career field and answer questions to use critical thinking skills and demonstrate their understanding. Two different puzzles are included to learn different jobs in the career and to reinforce vocabulary skills. An individual project to create a commercial using Adobe Spark (free) offers students an opportunity to express their creativity and get a real-life look into this career. A group project to collaborate and create a marketing plan for a product is provided to simulate the career and allow students to utilize critical thinking skills and teamwork. Finally, a short reflection questionnaire gives students the opportunity to reflect and analyze their learning as they determine if this career field is of interest to them.
The project was created for grades 7-8 but could easily be used with high school students. The teacher can choose to use some or all of the provided lesson options included in this resource.
Files Included with this Lesson
• Teacher & Student Notes and Resources
• Introduction to Marketing, Sales & Service Careers PowerPoint presentation (editable)
• Introduction to Marketing, Sales & Service Careers Research Reading and Questions
• Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Job Type Word Search Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Individual Commercial Creation Project expectations, quick reference guide and rubric
• Group Marketing Plan Creation Project Instructions and Worksheet
• Marketing, Sales & Service Career Reflection Questions (MS Word)