Lesson for the first time you ever meet a class - complete lesson.
Complete lesson, ready to use, you only need to spend a few minutes creating a 'who am I' slide (a template for this slide is included inside the lesson powerpoint).
Key Stages: KS3 and KS4 and KS5. (You could even use it with KS2).
ALL subjects: yes, really, all subjects and you can use it with your tutor group too !
Use this lesson to :
Reduce the stress and pressure.
Improve your experience of the first ever lesson with a class.
Improve your learners experience of their first ever lesson with you.
The first lesson with a new class is the most important lesson you will ever teach. You need to give this lesson to each of your new classes. Assuming you have 12 classes and your teaching career lasts 20 years that is a lot of classes! I've lost count of the number of times I have delivered this lesson, this truly critical lesson. It has been used and improved a huge number of times over many years.
During the lesson you will:
* Sort out the seating plan.
* Learn names.
* Introduce yourself to the students.
* Get to know the students.
* Set and agree class rules.
* Rewards - find out which rewards they care enough about to try and get.
* Set expectations of behaviour and ensure students recognise your authority as the teacher.
* Help learners understand why work ethic is so important.
* Learn about individual learners needs.
* Learn about their individual likes (helps build relationships)
* Learn about their individual dislikes (helps build relationships)
* Start to build relationships.
* Start to coach / motivate the students about learning.
This is an excellent lesson - I use it with every new class and whether you are a new teach or a very experienced one this is a small investment for a great lesson to improve your experience and outcomes when you meet a class for the very first time.
Please type Barclayfox into the TES search engine to see all my other complete and ready to deliver lessons.
Happy teaching !
back to school, first lesson, ice breaker, first time meet, complete first lesson, first secondary lesson, first maths lesson, first English lesson, first science lesson, first French lesson, first history lesson, first geography lesson, first tutor group lesson, first lesson in, introduction, classroom expectations, setting standards, start up lesson, new class introduction, meeting your new class for the first time, new teacher, new class, back to school, meet the teacher, B4L, behaviour for learning, behavior for learning, behaviour management, behavior management, setting expectations, class rules.