2.1.1 A: Impact of New and Emerging Technologies
2.1.1 B: Critical Evaluation of New and Emerging Technologies
This 34 page vibrantly illustrated pupil work book supports my teacher PowerPoint (available separately or as part of a bundle).
It covers the WJEC New specification for Design and Technology from 2017 and would generally covers a term of theory from September and October. The workbook has a range of activities from writing, matching, drawing etc. and is fully editable. It is suitable for Product Design, Fashion and Textiles and Engineering.
The first section covers the Core Knowledge and Understanding 2.1.1A
• The impact of new and emerging technologies on industry and enterprise:
• market pull;
• technology push;
• consumer choice.
• The Product Life Cycle. Introduction – researching, developing and then bringing a product to market; Growth – when sales are increasing; Maturity – sales are near their highest point; Decline – sales begin to fall.
• Global production and its effects on culture and people.
• Sustainability. Meeting today’s needs without compromising the needs of future generations. For example: the sourcing of materials, using sustainable resources, waste materials and CFCs.
• Legislation to which products are subject. BSI (British Standards Institute) and ISO (International Standards Organisation). Their general roles/purpose, ISO numbers, the BSI kite mark and why as consumers these are important when purchasing products.
• Consumer rights and protection for consumers when purchasing and using products. The basics of consumer rights, return policies, and the Trade Description Act.
• Moral and ethical factors related to manufacturing products and the sale and use of products. Considering the needs of others in less developed countries and issues related to child labour, fair wage for a day’s work, companies exploiting underdeveloped countries for profit.
• CAD/CAM the advantages and disadvantages of using Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM).
The last part of this workbook will help pupils critically evaluate the importance of new and emerging technologies (plus sustainability and environmental issues) when designing and making products.
There is also space at the back of the book for additional notes and also assessment on the back cover.
NOTE: The workbook is designed using the font “Century Gothic” and “Champion” and will be best viewed with these downloaded.