- To order multistep calculations.
- To identify four operations.
- To solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and a combination of these (Year 5)
- To solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (Year 6)
- To use the 4 operations, including formal written methods, applied to integers and decimals, (KS3)
This lesson consists of:
A Starter consisting of a series of progressively harder, multi-step calculations and revision of properties of numbers. A connect activity challenging children to identify which range of operations they require to solve a differentiated Word problem.
An Interactive Whiteboard teaching introduction for both Notebook and ActivInspire flipchart, to teach children how to lay out multi operation Word problems and how to allowing you to group children according to ability.
A 4-way differentiated series of tasks requiring children to solve multi-step word problems relating to measures, time and multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000. A challenge activity where children have to apply this knowledge and draw conclusion in order to answer two Mastery style questions. Answer sheet provided to support marking.
A final AFL / Next Steps task, asking children to apply their knowledge to a multistep SATs question, requiring the use of brackets to organise their calculation.