Revision Activity for IB Maths - Standard Level
This activity poses students with the double challenge of not only having to answer exam questions, but also to analyse fluctuations in prices to determine the optimum time to trade their answer with the teacher.
- Print out a ‘Company Prospectus’ for each pupil (highlight that the broker recommendations may not always be accurate).
- Project ‘Prices’ on your smartboard which shows the price pupils will receive if they correctly complete all parts of the question. Pupils can collaborate but will each have to ‘trade’ their answer with the teacher and should be aware that the price may change between trades. Only 2 answers can be traded at a time and the answers can be found in the ‘Mark Scheme’.
- After a pupil has ‘traded’ their answer the price changes so click the square on the price below to reveal the new price.
- The pricing for each question is a function that can be found on the ‘Raw’ tab of the ‘Stock-Market’ spreadsheet. Besides answering the questions you might ask students to reflect on what may be happening to the prices. As more trades are completed and hence prices revealed, I will award extra credit if pupils start to try and model the function.
- Video tutorials available here.
- If pupils wish to revisit the questions, the original exam paper can be found in the ‘Original Paper’