Explore key technological developments of the 1950s and 1960s, from the world’s first business computer to the internet and how they influenced society.
Linked to the KS3 history, design & technology curriculum and GCSE business curriculum, this 40-minute lesson traces the impact of technology and considers:
• the factors driving the adoption of technology in business
• ways in which computers and computing power were bought and sold
• the role of women in the early days of business computing
• the perceived threat to jobs from the introduction of computers into the workplace
• Government’s role in the development of the computing industry in the UK in this period
• early ideas about the use of computers at home.
Many of these developments are illustrated by life stories taken from the Archives of IT website. YouTube videos are embedded in the lesson with web links also available. Accompanying teachers’ notes and a spider diagram are also available. Several slides include open questions to encourage discussion in class and there are two suggested class activities included.