Phillis Wheatley(1753-1784) was the first African American to publish a book of poetry. She was also only the second woman to publish a book of poetry in America. This reading activity, part of my Let’s Meet… series includes a reading passage done in the first person, a Did You Know? fun fact section, a map still activity, comprehension questions and a teacher page with extension activities. Great for a study on the American Revolutionary War, during Women’s History Month and Black History Month or as an activity any time of the year!
Additional Resources in my Let’s Meet… Series include:
- Mary Anning(Fossil Hunter)
- Hildegard of Bingen(writer/composer)
- Artemisia(Female Naval Commander during the Battle of Salamis)
- Sophie Brahe(Astronomer)
- Enheduanna(first known Poet)
*Hanno(Sea Explorer of the Phoenicians)
- Agnodice(First Female Doctor of Ancient Greece)
- Hypatia(First female mathematician)
- Alexander the Great(famous general)
- Aesop(Fable Writer of Ancient Greece)
- Hannibal(famous general)
- Ramses(Great Pharaoh)
- Hatshepsut(Female Pharaoh)
- Socrates(Philosopher of Ancient Greece).