The “Physics of Windmills” project utilizes research skills, MS Word, and Sketchup (free CAD software download) to allow students to build skills in those programs along with skills in Internet research, reading, writing and critical thinking. In these projects, students research information about how windmills work and the physics behind them. They create a scale model drawing of a windmill using Sketchup (CAD) and then brainstorm with their team to determine the best design to build from recycled materials. Finally, they reflect on their learning and the dynamics of their team to complete the project.
The project was created for grades 7-8 but could easily be adapted for younger or older students.
Files Included with this Lesson
• Teacher Notes and Resources
• Windmill Project Overview & Expectations
• Windmill Research project (includes teacher key)
• Team Planning Sheet
• Team Sign Up Sheet
• Sketchup (CAD) drawing project expectations and rubric (Sketchup or another CAD program)
• Windmill Testing Score Sheet
• Written Reflection Assignment (MS Word or other word processing)