This engaging and informative lesson enables students to make insightful and developed interpretations regarding ‘The Ghost of Christmas Present’ in ‘A Christmas Carol.’ In particular, they explore the key messages about generosity and human kindness that Dickens aims to get across through his portrayal of the ghost.
The lesson follows a step-by-step learning journey, in which children learn through:
- Reading and understanding the key plot elements of stave 3 - in which The Ghost of Christmas Present appears;
- Identifying and exemplifying the key features of the ghost, including its appearance, actions, and mannerisms;
- Analysing the extent to which the ghost represents Dickens' message about generosity;
- Peer assessing each other's learning attempts.
- Whole lesson PowerPoint - colourful and comprehensive;
- Extract - Stave 3 of A Christmas Carol;
- Features of The Ghost of Christmas Present Worksheet (and completed answer sheet for teachers);
- Analysis template with success criteria for creating well-structured responses;
- Comprehensive lesson plan.
There are also opportunities for group learning, peer assessment, and whole class discussion. This was originally taught to mixed ability year 10 groups, but can easily be differentiated for groups of different ages and abilities.
All images are licensed for commercial use, and image rights are listed on the last page of the presentation.