The new 1-9 Design Specification 2017 has been released and to support KS4 Design Technology I have created this useful resource for teachers to use in class. As the iterative design challenge will be released at the EOY 10 I have planned to get the theory in first including plastics, woods and metals.
During each theory, there is also a simple design and make challenge that you can change and adapt to suit your own facilities and material availability etc.
The Woods module covers 10 weeks on the following topics
• Introduction to woods and forests around the world, Boreal forests, Tropical forests and Temperate forests.
• Preparation of timber for commercial use, Air seasoning timber, Kiln Seasoning
• Veneer, Natural woods, Manmade boards and flexi ply.
• Introduction to the project - The Wooden Box. Design Brief and Ideas
• Students will have marked out accuracy. Use of jigs
• Manufacturing Lesson - Use of specialised tools, How to cut different wooden joints.
• Manufacturing Lesson - Use of specialised tools.
• Manufacturing in quantity, link to industrial / commercial manufacturing processes. Jigs
• Adhesives, demonstration of the use of adhesives and clamping devices.
• Sanding and finishing on woods
• Sanding and cleaning wood ready to apply a finish
• Fixings and fastenings
• Finishing woods techniques – Manufacturing lesson
• Woods Investigation and research
Each pack contains short and detailed medium term plan, student assessment plan and a student tracker.