Reading Comprehension package, including non-fiction text on PELICANS and task cards.
This Unit will assist students to read, process and understand informational texts (non-fiction) by making connections, close thinking and QR codes.
This is a non-fiction, informational text and tasks cards Reading Center Unit based on PELICANS.
1. There are two posters or charts which explains Making Connections and understanding whilst reading non-fiction texts.
2. There is a non-fiction text about PELICANS, that I have rewritten. I have broken this text into 6 short, “bite size” pieces, that I prefer, because most students seem daunted when faced with a whole page of text. However, I have included the whole text on one page, in both color and black ink if you prefer. I’ve included everything with a black ink option, however, I think some pages are definitely better in coloUr.
3. This text comes with its own set of 13 task cards. On two cards I’ve used QR codes for sites on Quietube; footage of birds flying freely in habitat and the second shows Pelican eating a fish. However, I have also included an extra two cards, with fairly similar tasks without the codes, if you’d rather use them or don’t have the technology in class. The coded cards would make great homework tasks!
4. A couple of black ink master pages. I use these pages to make a small interactive book for the tasks. The students can complete their tasks, writing and drawing in this little book. This master can also be pasted into notebooks or simply not used, if you prefer.
4. Most of the task cards offer students some choice of activities.
5. Some tasks demand higher-order thinking, opinions questions and tasks to make students delve more deeply into the story and understand their ideas and interpretations.
6. I have added a tracking sheet, so students and teacher can record work that is completed.
I have similar units on other birds and this unit is also included in the money-saving BUNDLE